Steward Election - voting open now

ENS DAO Steward elections for Q1/Q2 2022 are now open. For more context on Steward Elections, please see this post.

Snapshot links:

Q1/Q2 2022 Meta-governance Steward Election
Q1/Q2 2022 ENS Ecosystem Steward Election
Q1/Q2 2022 Community Steward Election
Q1/Q2 2022 Public Goods Steward Election

Public Forum

There is a Twitter Space at 1pm EST on Jan 10 to talk through how the steward election work and hear from candidates. This Twitter Space will be recorded and linked below.

Important points

• There are four working groups: Meta-Governance, ENS Ecosystem, Community, and Public Goods.
  • Three stewards will be elected for each working group, for the Q1/Q2 2022 term.
  • Each working group has a separate vote (see links to Snapshot above).
  • Voting is open from 9am UTC on Jan 10 to 9am UTC on Jan 15.
  • Elections are conducted by ranked choice instant-runoff voting.
  • At the conclusion of the voting for each working group, the three candidates ranked highest will be elected as stewards of that working group.

Notes on Ranked Choice Instant-Runoff Voting

• To vote, rank candidates in your preferred order, with the candidate you most want to see elected as a steward ranked first.
  • If you would prefer a seat be left empty rather than filled by a particular candidate, rank the candidate below the “[No Further Entries]” entry (this will make sense when you see the Snapshot votes).

Steward nomination statements

You can read through the nomination statements of each candidate in the relevant Working Group (WG) posts:

Please reply with any questions below or tag alisha.eth in the Discord server (https://chat.ens.domains).

12 Likes

Go ENS! :slight_smile: cast your votes ladies and gentlemen!

4 Likes

Congrats to everyone who was nominated!

5 Likes

@AvsA on the game :fire:, love to see lot of people are voting :clap:

2 Likes

I don’t stand a chance but it’s nice to participate however I can! This is historic. Congrats to all involved. Edit - dang I missed that Twitter space to pitch my platform because I was in class. Maybe next time.

5 Likes

It’s an honour to stand in this election to serve ENS and the Public Goods community! So exciting!
I’m going to keep devoting my life to Public Goods whether I’m elected to a stewardship or not :slight_smile:
Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

Thanks all for the votes in the community working group so far and best of luck!

Here’s how I’m voting: https://twitter.com/spencecoin/status/1480760300819214336

1 Like

Go ENS! :slight_smile: cast your votes ladies and gentlemen!

1 Like

Something is wrong with the Meta-Governance vote count. All votes beyond rank 3 are showing as 0

Did you try refreshing? Noticed this a few times yesterday but a refresh fixed it.

Public goods is still displaying inaccurate for me even with an empty cache.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I think once a certain tipping point is passed in the total possible votes, all votes go to the top choices. Because it’s ranked preference and no amount of votes could put you in the running. Not positive though.

Hat tip to the design and forethought of the ENS team for waiting to have the steward elections after hype and happy to see many quality candidates.

I am still trying to get confirmation that this is how this type of election works.

If this is the way the election will work then I think the snapshot numbers are not reflecting it.

1 Like

As we’ve discovered, Snapshot isn’t using anything like this; it’s only attempting to discover the one winner, which does lead to inaccurate results for runners-up.

We’re talking to the snapshot team about changing their calculation for runners-up so we get an accurate view of the 3 top candidates, but we may just have to drop back to downloading a dump of all the votes and calculating it ourselves. Either way we will make sure we have an accurate result from the election, even if it’s not showing in the snapshot interface.

4 Likes

On further inspection, the voting method we selected - instant runoff STV - isn’t best suited to electing multiple candidates. We can adapt the rules to get good counts for second and third candidates (my suggestion was to rerun the election without the winner in order to find second and third place winners), but I’d like to suggest we instead use a different STV counting method.

Meek STV, described here and implemented in this python library is used in various local body elections, as well as on Stack Overflow and by the London Hackspace. It’s well understood, already implemented, and explicitly designed for electing multiple candidates. It’s still a ranked choice voting method, so all the ballots cast for this election are still valid.

I would like to propose that we use Meek STV for determining the outcome of this election, and prior to the next election pass an amendment to EP4 either specifying that future elections will use it if Snapshot can add support for it before then, or changing to another method already supported by Snapshot, such as approval voting, if they can’t implement it in time.

In the interests of not holding up the steward election process for a DAO-wide snapshot vote, I’d like to propose we adopt this by acclaimation (eg, please state an objection if you have one).

Finally, I need to apologise - the choice of voting system was mine, and I didn’t look closely enough into how it worked with electing multiple candidates before putting it forward.

7 Likes

For Meek STV calculations, I’ve quickly created a small script that uses Caritat and directly pulls the snapshot data. The GitHub repo for the script is available here, feel free to generate the results yourself or inspect the code.

With two days still left to vote on the elections, the current results calculated with Meek STV would be as follows:

• Public Goods
    • sumedha.eth
    • ceresstation.eth
    • avsa.eth
  • Community
    • spencecoin.eth
    • limes.eth
    • coltron.eth
  • Ecosystem
    • ginge.eth
    • slobo.eth
    • avsa.eth
  • Meta-Governance
    • james.eth
    • jmj.eth
    • simona.eth
5 Likes

man you’re a beast :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Nice work. Script shells out empty result files though without errors :thinking: