How it will work: Steward nominations

The steward nomination window will open at 9am UTC on January 5, 2022. This post is NOT a call for steward nominations, but an opportunity to provide context around what the process will look like.

To be elected as a working group steward, you must:

1. Nominate yourself as a steward during the nomination window; and
  2. Receive 10k votes in support of your nomination to be included on the ballot for the steward election; and
  3. Be one of the top three ranked nominees in the steward election for a particular working group.

There are four working groups in the ENS DAO, which are:

• Meta-Governance
  • ENS Ecosystem
  • Community
  • Public Goods

In the first term of 2022, each working group will have three stewards that are elected by the DAO. The remaining two stewards in each working group will be appointed by the ENS Core team (True Names Limited).

Stewards will carry out responsibilities related to the administration and operation of working groups, as set out in EP4, under Rule 4.5.

The following post will be published at 9am UTC on January 5, 2022.

Any person is eligible to nominate themselves to be a steward of a working group during the nomination window.

In order to nominate yourself as a steward, you must have write-access to all of the categories in the governance forum. Please submit the Participant Request form if you require write-access. If you have submitted the form and have not received a response it is because there is an invalid entry in your form. Please resubmit the Participant Request form.

For the first term in 2022, the nomination window for stewards will be open from 9am UTC on January 5 to 9am UTC on January 9.

To nominate yourself as a steward, follow these three steps:

1. Reply to this post with the following information:
  • Link to Snapshot: (fill this in after Step 2)
  • Preferred Name:
  • ENS name:
  • Forum username:
  • Why do you want to be a steward of this working group?
  1. Create a Snapshot vote using the following template:
  • Title: [Name of working group] your name
    example: [Community] alisha.eth
  • Body: copy and past your forum reply from above which includes your preferred name, ENS name, forum username, and why you want to be a steward of this working group

Details on how to create a Snapshot vote, along with a link to the Snapshot space, will be provided with the actual post when the nomination window opens.

1. Once you have replied and created a Snapshot vote, you can edit your forum post and include a link to your Snapshot vote.

After successfully nominating yourself to be a steward, you are able to campaign for 10k votes in support of your nomination on Snapshot. Any nominee with 10k votes supporting their steward nomination will be included in the ballot for the steward election.

The steward election will start at 9am UTC on January 10, 2022 and remain open for 120 hours. The steward nominees with the most votes will be offered the role of steward in the relevant working group, based on the order in which they are ranked.

If you have any questions about the steward nomination window or the steward election, please reply to this thread. If you would prefer to chat in Discord, please comment in the Steward Nomination thread under the #DAO-chat channel, and tag alisha.eth.

14 Likes

Hi Alisha!

Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward!

Q: How do I know if I have the necessary write-access for steward nominations? I thought I had it since I got a notification and DM here on the Discourse forum (after I submitted the Participant Request form) saying that I am now a Contributor. However, the ā€˜New Topicā€™ button is still inactive for most categories. So I do not have the necessary write-access in the end.

Iā€™ll put up my post nominating myself for Public Goods later, but for now at Alishaā€™s request letā€™s get some clarity for everyone with obvious questions:

What kind of capacity is required to fill a steward role successfully?
How many working hours per week are expected?
How many meetings, and in what timezones?

2 Likes

Hi @inplco, I will meet you in a support ticket in Discord and help you troubleshoot. A common issue is that your Discord account isnā€™t yet connected to Discourse (the governance forum).

2 Likes

I have a draft post below that Iā€™ll publish to the correct thread when it goes live.
In the spirit of making this smooth for everyone, is this a good nomination post?
Should people try to include less, more, different?

==================================================

gm frENS :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to working with you all and ENS and our beautiful Web3 ecosystem in 2022, year of the DAO!

My preferred name is Ryan,
My ENS name is RyanCoordinator.eth,
My forum username is RyanCoordinator-pers,
And Iā€™m excited to be a steward with ENS Public Goods working group!

I have already devoted my life and my career to advancing Public Goods, so joining the Public Goods Working Group here with ENS is a natural fit for me.

I got a taste for working in Public Goods at Gitcoin DAO last year setting up Moonshot Collective for success and structuring DAO operations. This year my focus is on setting up Developer DAO for success so we can develop Public Goods at a scale never seen before!

D_D (Developer DAO) is already an ENS delegate, and Iā€™m looking forward expanding the work of our devs on ENS and ecosystem Public Goods projects. Training devs and building Public Goods is our D_D mission, as well as my personal mission, and Iā€™m super proud to be able to serve our communities.

Joining the ENS Public Goods working group is a natural extension of my ecosystem work that will allow me to put my contacts and resources to good use serving ENS, our Web3 ecosystem, and global Public Goods. We can make the future brighter together. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ideally, stewards will be active contributors within the DAO, who are able to put on the steward hat for a few hours a week and step into the role of being a facilitator, in order to hold the working group together, and keep the working group moving forward.

It is hard to say in the first term, but I would expect stewards to be available for approximately 5 to 10 hours a week. In saying that, some weeks will be more demanding, such as those leading up to submitting budget proposals. I also expect there to be variation between the demands of each working group. For example, I expect the ENS Ecosystem working group to be more demanding than say the Public Goods working group, which may not be as large, or as active in the first term.

A weekly working group meeting is to be expected, plus a monthly DAO-wide sync. The timing of meetings may alternate to suit different timezones. There is no requirement that a steward needs to be in a certain timezone.

2 Likes

Hey @RyanCoordinator-pers, this is a great example of a nomination post :+1:
This amount of detail/text is perfect.

1 Like

I was able to get it sorted out by copying someone elseā€™s and editing it for my post! Looks like I am all set, thanks for the help!

darrow.eth

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot

• Preferred Name: Oliver Cowley
  • ENS name: Chai.eth
  • Forum username: Crypty
    ENS is clearly a power house naming service for the web3 platform. My ambition is to work vis a vis with the development of a search engine for .eth and initially contribute specifically towards the manifestation of a world renowned, recognised and broader accepted brand name that will position ENS.Domains competing with the likes of the greatest search engines in the world Google and Yahoo.

By developing ENS.Domains search engine and creating a global brand name, this task is inline with Article III of the constitution contributing to the long-term viability of ENS.

Graduation: BA Business finance University of Durham 2009

Hi @Crypty, can you please repost your nomination post in the ENS Ecosystem Steward Nomination thread.

Hello friends,

great activities here. I would like to nominate myself as a steward. At the moment I can not write in the steward nomination section. I also have problems to join the ENS discord. I kindly ask for you help to get access. I paste my proposal here:

• Link to Snapshot: Snapshot
  • Preferred Name: Torsten Goerke
  • ENS name: kn00t.eth
  • Forum username: kn00t
  • Twitter: TorstenGoerke

I do not have a particular vision for ENS. As a computer science researchers I want to take responsibility for the tools we create together. As a steward I want to put in my experience and skills as a software engineer and community manager.

I am deeply impressed by the activities since the ENS DAO foundation: DNS integration, auto-generated profile pages for eth addresses ā€¦ and want to explore and learn more what public goods in the information age look like, who are the beneficiaries - thinking about those persons who are not just token holders as positive externalities instead of ā€œfree ridersā€.

There are still many problems to solve and challenges yet to be defined in the blockchain space. Communities in web3 have the potential to activate networks of volunteers. With my steward application I want to express my deep gratitude to be included in this communities. This inclusive nature means a lot to me.

Skills and acquired training certificates (recent and longer term):

• HL7 FHIR (Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resource)
  • NEAR Certified Developer Level 1 (50% complete)
  • cadCAD Bootcamp (cadCADEdu certificate)
  • Inter-cultural / inter-disciplinary collaboration (https://dhun-music.net/)
  • data analysis / coding (https://github.com/tgoerke)

Hello frENS :slight_smile:

Line to snapshot:

My preferred name is Norman
My ENS name is nhirsch.eth (I also have nrhirsch.eth)
Twitter name is nhirsch
My forum username is nrhirsch
Iā€™m hoping to be a steward with ENS Public Goods working group!

I was early adopter of ENS from 2017. I was one of the first (if not the first) to send 0.0123 ETH from one name to another in Metamask. I remember it didnā€™t work when I first tried and then Nick made some change realtime on the old name-registry forum and then bingo, it went thru.

Iā€™m thinking I might be able to help make things easier for people to understand the various ENS happenings, DAO, votes, suggestions by dumbing things down for the average person to understand. I can do this because I have to learn it myself first and then am able to explain. For example this process alone is not something the average person can maneuver. Shouldnā€™t it be easier?

I have zero experience working with DAO but am willing to learn and then explain it for others.

I have owned a network security company for 32 years (nha.com) and consider myself a senior nerd which I think qualifies me to do what Iā€™m suggesting.

Thanks for your consideration.

ā€“Norman Hirsch

Hi @alisha.eth I am sorry if I just submitted and filled up the airtable form. Can you give me write access to this link please ?Steward nomination: Meta-Governance working group

Q U I G E - ENS Ecosystem Steward Nomination Post

• Link to Snapshot: 13,973,377
  • Preferred Name: QUIGE
  • ENS name: quige.eth
  • Forum username : QUIGE
  • Twitter @QUIGE1
  • Telegram @QUIGE1
  • Email 4QUIGE@pm.me
  • Google Voice +1 (424) 279-4090

Why do I want to be a steward of the ENS Ecosystem group?

I believe that with my previous experiences starting with ICANN in 2000 as a Member-at-large them and the headaches and roadblocks that had to be overcome in dealing with the development process and establishing the governance of ICANN, beginning with the addition of new Top Level Domains. I hope to add beneficial insight to the general discussion and aid in developing the fundamental principles that must be proposed and voted to establish the foundation that will ensure the success of the ENS DAO. The concept of a DAO and its representation is in its infancy development stage, and growing pains are expected. It will take time for the Genisis development and its members to change the mindset from what some may be used to in the corporate environment. It will take time to adjust. I started seven months ago at The BanklessDAO. I learned very quickly that there is a little comparison from the environment I just came from. I co-found and co-own a California S Corp for twenty successful years. I stepped away, letting my little brother take the helm to follow my crypto hobby dive deep into the unknown. I had read as much as anyone could comprehend. It was time to do. A smart contractā€™s concept, development, and execution is the one poorly covered area and very like or no case studies.
I started there about a year ago and went through two token launches. It was one huge learning curve that took me down the crypto rabbit hole. Where I ended up was the BanklessDAO. I began by joining and sitting in for three weeks straight every guild in the DAO. On a gust pass, I wanted to observe and learn what everyone did and how this DAO concept differed from the corporate America I used for the past twenty-seven years. What I found was the future of the next generation. The DAO works differently, and the no management concept creates its problems. But like I said, it will all be worked out. The positives out weight the negatives one must experience to understand honestly. I started working with onboarding that was changed to The Academy last season. For most of this season, I was the project manager for the Academy. I learned that the DAO has not even learned how to walk yet. Traditional thought must be evaluated and modified to work in a DAO environment. And the members also slowly change mindsets as the DAO grows too. It was a challenge to project manage a DAO where the entire concept is little or no management. At this time, there are no manuals because we are writing them. I hope to offer any advice I can from my mental toolbox and assist in succeeding a new member of the family, the ENS DAO. Nice to meet everyone; they call me QUIGE. I am here to help and continue my way around the learning curve on my crypto adventure.

Q U I G E
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo
Delta Sigma Phi
Industrial Engineering & Computer science 1993-2000

Please vote for Q U I G E as a steward for the ENS Ecosystem group.

Thank you!