Hello and welcome to the Ethereum Name Service DAO Newsletter!
New editions are published on the 1st and 15th of every month.
This newsletter is available on the ENS DAO Governance Forum and Substack.
We encourage any feedback, questions, or comments!
- Our entire archive is now available to view in its own section on the forum.
- Our homepage is hosted on IPFS at ensdaonews.eth.limo or ensnews.eth.limo.
- We have a new Global section to feature multilingual articles.
- Two important votes are on Tally: Sell ETH into USDC & Working Group Funding.
- Endowment initiation discussion continues.
- Public Goods Small Grants winners of the month have been chosen.
- NameWrapper contracts have been redeployed to Goerli testnet.
- ENS DAO will have a presence at ETHDenver.
- The ENS DAO Dashboard is full of helpful information!
Note: The social votes for all three working group budgets were passed, and will now be combined into a single executable proposal vote on Tally. This on-chain vote is the final step required to allocate funding for the budget requests, if passed.
|[EP3.3] [Executable] Sell ETH into USDC||Link||Tally||Active|
|[EP3.2] [Executable] Q1/Q2 2023 Working Group Funding||Link||Tally||Active|
|[EP3.1.1] [Social] Q1/Q2 2023 Funding Request: ENS Ecosystem Working Group||Link||Snapshot||Passed|
|[EP3.1.2] [Social] Q1/Q2 2023 Funding Request: Meta-Governance Working Group||Link||Snapshot||Passed|
|[EP3.1.3] [Social] Q1/Q2 2023 Funding Request: Public Goods Working Group||Link||Snapshot||Passed|
For details on the ENS DAO proposal process see our Governance Docs.
For the most up-to-date schedule of events, refer to the ENS Calendar.
Any other sources are not guaranteed to be accurate.
- ENS DAO Q1/Q2 2023 Dashboard
- Calendar: Public Access
- Calendar: Access with Gmail
Around the Web
- ONE37pm recently sat down with Khori Whittaker, Executive Director of ENS Labs, for an interview about the past, present and future of ENS. Khori sees ENS expanding into an “every day, everyone” name service. Read the full article here.
- Nick Johnson, Founder and Lead Developer of ENS, joined BanklessDAO to talk about the history and unique features of ENS. Listen the recording here.
- Dom Perri, Product Designer at ENS Labs, shared a thread on Twitter discussing some of the work that went into designing the icons for the upcoming V3 ENS app and Thorin Design System. Read the full thread here.
Three ENS Twitter spaces were held in the second half of January.
- The first ENS Office Hours was held on January 19th and featured discussion about the upcoming Name Wrapper with @Serenae, Developer Experience at ENS Labs. Notes from the space can be found on the forum.
- The following week, ENS Office Hours was held on January 26th and featured @Slobo.eth to discuss nftychat. Notes from the space can be found on the forum.
- The ENS DAO Twitter also held a space on January 19th to discuss the proposal [EP3.3] Sell ETH for USDC, which has since been put on Tally for an on-chain vote. Notes from the space can be found on the forum.
Follow and turn on notifications for the ENS and ENS DAO Twitter accounts so you don’t miss any upcoming spaces!
Working Group News
ENS DAO Working Group Meetings (Q1/Q2 2023):
|Meta-Governance||7pm UTC||Tuesday||Google Meet|
|ENS Ecosystem||5pm UTC||Thursday||Google Meet|
|Public Goods||6pm UTC||Thursday||Google Meet|
The Meta-Governance working group hosted three meetings since our last edition:
- Minutes for Weekly Meta-Gov Meeting - Jan 17th, 2023 @ 7PM GMT
- Minutes for Weekly Meta-Gov Meeting - Jan 24th, 2023 @ 7PM GMT
- Minutes for Weekly Meta-Gov Meeting - Jan 31th, 2023 @ 7PM GMT
The current main focus of the Meta-Governance working group discussion is on two important proposals: Sell ETH into USDC and Endowment Initiation.
Endowment Initiation (Karpatkey)
For the latest on the endowment conversation, check out the discussion on the ENS DAO Forum.
The on-chain vote for this proposal is currently active on Tally.
Note: Karpatkey is focused on managing the endowment fund (long-term) while the ETH sale provides a two-year runway for DAO operations (short-term). While these proposals have some similarities, they are separate discussions with different considerations, and will not affect one another.
The Ecosystem working group hosted two meetings since our last edition:
- Minutes for Weekly Ecosystem Meeting - Jan 19th, 2023 @ 5PM GMT
- Minutes for Weekly Ecosystem Meeting - Jan 26th, 2023 @ 5PM GMT
ENS Ecosystem Project Highlights
- SetAvatar - A one screen application to help you set your PFP/avatar for your ENS domain, hosted on IPFS.
- eth.id - A site that allows users to create a single eth.id identity across their three main modes of communication - ENS name, email address, and web page.
- ENS Widget - An open source widget that allows any react website to implement and register ENS names in a few flexible ways. It also allows tracking of who registered a name using your widget.
- Relay.cc - Relay is a platform for connecting an ENS name with projects and company card on the site. The team is working on an OpenAI feature (currently in alpha) that allows users to chat with a bot trained on a project’s documentation.
- Org3 - Org3 is an ENS subdomain based organization management tool. It provides visualization of the current subdomains of a parent name. It also has a file sharing system.
- ENS Doc - ENS Doc allows you to upload and share your file in a safe way. To use it, choose a file to upload and enter the ENS address you would like to share the file with. The site uploads the file to IPFS and creates a randomized file link to download the file that only the specified address will have access to.
If you have a project that you would like to present during an ENS Ecosystem weekly call, please contact any of the Ecosystem stewards: slobo.eth (lead steward), Limes, and Yambo.
We are looking at two potential places to hold a side event during ETH Denver. We are planning to have an event with around 100 people on the invite list, to get together and chat about ENS. The location is not yet finalized. We are looking to host the event on March 2nd. More information will be announced soon.
ENS Merch Store
We will be doing a small run of hats and shirts for IRL events, which will be available in the merch store as well at ensmerchshop.xyz.
The Public Goods working group hosted two meetings since our last edition:
- Minutes for Weekly Public Goods Meeting - Jan 19th, 2023 @ 6PM GMT
- Minutes for Weekly Public Goods Meeting - Jan 26th, 2023 @ 6PM GMT
@Coltron.eth has provided a summary of how funding was used last term.
See the full report here: Spending Summary - Working Groups Term 2, 2022.
Public Goods Small Grants - January 2023
The first Public Goods Smalls Grants round of the year has come to a close, and the top five voted projects will receive 1 ETH each!
This round, we excluded approximately 2/3 of the submissions. A full review of this was posted by coltron.eth, here.
Going forward, the Public Goods stewards will work to clarify the eligibility, and to tweak the front-end to improve the submission experience.
Congratulations to the winners listed below, and thank you to all participants and voters!
- Revoke.cash - Helping you stay safe in web3
- GasHawk - Save on Ethereum gas fees. For FREE. Really.
- Pairwise - Tinder UX for web3 community signaling
- Inverter Network - Fund and build on web3 with ease
- Free DeFi Courses - Develop Eight Free DeFi courses
Please message any of the Public Goods working group stewards with feedback about the small grants process. The stewards are: coltron.eth (lead steward), AvsA, and vegayp.
Name Wrapper Update
See the forum post from January 31st, Namewrapper contracts redeployed to Goerli.
ENS Stats for January 2023
- ~57,000 new .eth registrations (total ~2.8 million names)
- ~$1.9 million in protocol revenue (all goes to the ENS DAO)
- ~23,000 new eth accounts w/ at least 1 ENS name (total ~650,000)
- ~5,600 avatar records set (total ~71,000)
- ~1,600 DWeb content records set (total ~19,000)
- NEVER give your private seed phrase to anyone, or enter it into any website, for any reason. Your seed phrase has the same function as your password, and with it an attacker is granted complete access to your crypto assets.
- There is no second airdrop! Anything that says there is - even in what appears to be from a legitimate source - is lying to you, and wants to steal your crypto!
- Follow the ENS DAO and ENS DAO Newsletter accounts on Twitter.
- Join our Governance Forum.
- Join on our Discord to chat about ENS or speak to a moderator.
- Visit our Governance Docs.
- View our Support Docs for answers to common questions about ENS.
Thank you very much for reading! Take care.